Re: Strange behaviour of aptitude

<bss@iguanasuicide.net> was heard to say:
> > On Tuesday 2008 December 16 02:59:01 Alan Chandler wrote:
> > >Now, when I run aptitude interactively (over ssh from another
> > > machine), after it has gone off to perform some action - such as
> > > installing upgrades to packages, when it completes, it redisplays
> > > the screen, but is not accepting any keyboard commands.
>
>   I've had sporadic reports of this, but I've never been able to
> track it down.  It happened once for me for about a week, then
> stopped and hasn't happened since.  I assumed it was a race condition
> that was triggered by something not in my environment, but I haven't
> been able to figure out the common thread.  (I thought it might have
> to do with dual-core processors, but now I have one and I don't see
> this)
>
> > >Anyone else seeing this?
> >
> > Yes, I am.  It's a bit tough to reproduce though.  It's definitely
> > related to gpm here.  It also affects htop, but not top and vim.
> > Attaching strace to the process shows it stuck and a read or write
> > call some gpm socket. Restarting the gpm daemon allows the
> > processes to continue.
>
>   I hoped for a moment that this was the explanation, but installing
> gpm doesn't trigger the bug for me.
>
>   Daniel

I don't have gpm installed  - I have a core duo on the client end, but
the server is a Celeron single processor machine.

(Client end is running unstable and aptitude works fine here)

Time to file a bug report I guess

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk