Re: Strange behaviour of aptitude

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 09:18:17AM -0600, "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@iguanasuicide.net> was heard to say:
> On Tuesday 2008 December 16 02:59:01 Alan Chandler wrote:
> >Now, when I run aptitude interactively (over ssh from another machine),
> >after it has gone off to perform some action - such as installing
> >upgrades to packages, when it completes, it redisplays the screen, but
> >is not accepting any keyboard commands.

  I've had sporadic reports of this, but I've never been able to track
it down.  It happened once for me for about a week, then stopped and
hasn't happened since.  I assumed it was a race condition that was
triggered by something not in my environment, but I haven't been able
to figure out the common thread.  (I thought it might have to do with
dual-core processors, but now I have one and I don't see this)

> >Anyone else seeing this?
>
> Yes, I am.  It's a bit tough to reproduce though.  It's definitely related to
> gpm here.  It also affects htop, but not top and vim.  Attaching strace to
> the process shows it stuck and a read or write call some gpm socket.
> Restarting the gpm daemon allows the processes to continue.

  I hoped for a moment that this was the explanation, but installing gpm
doesn't trigger the bug for me.

  Daniel