Re: Strange behaviour of aptitude

On Tuesday 2008 December 16 02:59:01 Alan Chandler wrote:
>Now, when I run aptitude interactively (over ssh from another machine),
>after it has gone off to perform some action - such as installing
>upgrades to packages, when it completes, it redisplays the screen, but
>is not accepting any keyboard commands.

I'm certainly seeing something similar.

>I can recover with a "reset terminal" command (running gnome terminal),
>which kills aptitude and then spews out all the key presses that
>aptitude hadn't taken.

I just hit Ctrl-C which works for me.

>I can then immediately restart aptitude with no side effects (it doesn't
>complain that the lock is held for instance - which it would do if it
>had just been killed off)

Does it work at that point?  Mine stays frozen.

>Anyone else seeing this?

Yes, I am.  It's a bit tough to reproduce though.  It's definitely related to
gpm here.  It also affects htop, but not top and vim.  Attaching strace to
the process shows it stuck and a read or write call some gpm socket.
Restarting the gpm daemon allows the processes to continue.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net                     ((_/)o o(\_))