Re: Audio: How to Cut out Seconds of Silence

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 19:26:34 -0700, wauhugo@yahoo.com (wauhugo@yahoo.com) wrote:

> I have an audio file (wav or mp3 format), which consists of sequences of
> useful audio-data - after a few seconds interrupted by about two seconds
> of absolute silence.
> I could edit the file with AUDACITY manually for to CUT OUT all these
> silent seconds.
>
> I am running SID on AMD64 and have not much experience with audio-files.
>
> I hope that there is a possibility to perform these cuts in an automated
> way.
> (Seeking for absolute silence, which lasts for more than one second
> and cutting it out.)
>
> Which would be the way to do that?

I have never tried to do this, but according to the Audacity man page:

"Audacity is primarily an interactive, graphical editor, not a
batch-processing tool. Whilst there is a basic batch processing tool
it is experimental and incomplete. If you need to batch-process audio or
do simple edits  from  the  command  line, using sox or ecasound driven
by a bash script will be much more powerful than audacity."

It seems that sox will do what you want, according to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoX

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.
Please reply to the list only.  Do NOT send copies directly to me.