Audio: How to Cut out Seconds of Silence

I have an audio file (wav or mp3 format), which consists of sequences of useful audio-data - after a few seconds interrupted by about two seconds of absolute silence. I could edit the file with AUDACITY manually for to CUT OUT all these silent seconds.

I am running SID on AMD64 and have not much experience with audio-files.

I hope that there is a possibility to perform these cuts in an automated way.
(Seeking for absolute silence, which lasts for more than one second
and cutting it out.)

Which would be the way to do that?

Hugo Wau