Re: reading USB port on old Thinkpad

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 07:32:43PM -0600, ZephyrQ wrote:
Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 10:26:37PM -0600, ZephyrQ wrote:
I am trying to use an old Thinkpad 309e. (PII, 128M memory). Etch runs fine (if slow) but I am using it as sound production (recording/playback) machine.

How do I get it to read my thumbdrive?

Then diff the two files, you'll see what changed and can mail it to us. (if you just want to see what changed, look at the end of the dmesg
after you plug in the drive).
I did this, and there is no difference in the files. I did both a diff and visually compared both files and there is no difference.

No change in either dmesg or /var/log/syslog.
Please confirm that you are runnin Etch (which requires use of udev?).
If this is Sarge, I remember having to figure out which module I needed
and using either modprobe or modconf to set it up.  Install the
kernel-doc package for your kernel and look at the USB stuff.

 > My old thinkpad PII-233 had a serial port.

As for USB serial dongle, since you're not needing the thing to boot off
of it, the BIOS shouldn't matter.  The kernel should find the dongle on
the USB bus and udev should give you a device (IIRC, its something like
/dev/ttyUSB0).
Whether you use a dongle or a real serial port, you'll still need a
null-modem connector to connect to another box.

Do other USB devices work on this laptop (other than a USB light or mug
warmer)?

I plugged in a USB mouse, and it did not work--no light either.

I am running Etch (net-installed it a month ago).

After work tomorrow, I will try to track down a serial/USB dongle.