Re: OT: laptop recomendations

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 14:10:35 -0500
Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 13:20:03 +0200
> Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:

> > Not completely, what newer batteries hate is heat, over and under charging.
> > If it's always plugged in it may kill the battery rather quickly. What I
> > have on my current thinkpad is the ability to stop charging before 100% and
> > that can add quite a bit of like to the battery.
>
> Thanks for the information.  I've been using my laptop for about two
> years, for an average of probably several hours of power-on a day.  The
> design_charge is 2000000, and the current / now charge is 1792000, so I
> suppose it hasn't degraded too badly yet.  This is, I believe, a bottom
> of the barrel battery, on a rather low end system, which I guess also
> means less power draw, although my understanding is that the Celeron
> has crippled power management.  When new, I got a fairly consistent 1.5
> hours till shutdown, and I haven't done a drain test recently.
>
> You mention overcharging; as Ismael says in another message in this
> thread, the system seems to know when the battery is full and stops
> charging; the power LED goes from red to green, and ACPI reports
> "full", not "charging".   Does it really keep charging, to the
> detriment of the batter?

It depends on how good they built the circuitry. If the led changes color then
I guess that it actually stops charging.

The issue is like this, battery charge percentage isn't an exact value, to make
sure that you are at a 100% you need to over charge it and see that it stops
there. If you stop at approximately 80% you're not over charging. Apart from
that, if you disconnect and reconnect again, you start charging again even if
it dropped just to 99.5%. What I do is set a stop charge limit at 85% and a
start charge limit at 75% so it doesn't immediately start charging again.

The problem is that this is possible only with newer thinkpads AFAIK.