Re: problem with SATA disk, difference between standard kernel and Debian kernel

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 14:53, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 16:21:26 -0600
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> On 12/10/08 16:10, Celejar wrote:

>> > The vanilla kernel has non-free stuff in it?  I thought it's all GPL.
>>
>> Some drivers have firmware blobs encoded in them as really long byte
>> arrays.  They are de jure GPL, but, practically, are closed source.
>
> And Debian removes these, even thought they're technically GPL?  Any
> examples?

For more than you want to know about binary firmware blobs see the
thread "Bug reports of DFSG violations are tagged 'lenny-ignore'?"
and related threads on debian devel:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2008/10/msg00010.html

The above threads are perfect examples of why I am
subscribed to Debian devel.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers