Re: Screen blanker & Mouse

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 08:54:52PM +0100, Manon Metten wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 7:15 PM, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>
> > How do you know for sure if the screen saver stops to show graphics
> > when DPMS turns off the signal to the monitor? It's what keeps me from
> > using a screen saver, I don't want it to be active when the monitor is
> > off.
>
> Well, than why don't you set the screen blanker to only blacken the screen.

The screen already goes black, and later DPMS is used, without running
another screensaver, so running another screensaver that turns the
screen black is pointless and a waste of resources.

> It might look not so pretty, but it's more energy efficient and better for your
> monitor.

But I would run the screensaver only for the pretty things it can
display. It's not for saving energy or the monitor, that function is
already working fine. Since that is working fine already, I want to be
sure that the screensaver stops displaying something when the monitor
is "sleeping".

> And there's hardly any visible difference between a black screen
> and dpms mode anyway. :-)

That depends on the monitor and/or how brightness and contrast are
set. I could and can always see it on my monitors, CRTs as well as
TFTs.

--
"Don't let them, daddy. Don't let the stars run down."
http://adin.dyndns.org/adin/TheLastQ.htm