Re: Screen blanker & Mouse

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 01:58:08AM -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Monday 2008 November 24 12:32, Manon Metten wrote:
> > Whenever I move my mouse, the screen wakes up from either blanking
> > or dpms mode. I would like to turn that off and have the screen wake up
> > only when I hit the keyboard.
>
> Unfortunately, this isn't really easy.  It would probably take a number of
> source-code level changes to X.org.
>
> > Can anyone please tell me if this is possible at all, and how to achive it.
>
> The right way do do it would probably be to add another Option to the
> InputDevice section, then test this option and inhibit wake events -- in fact
> swallow all input from the device if the DPMS has switched on -- and allow
> clients (like the client that locks the X session) to filter the events based
> on that option.

sure would be nice, though -- my mouse (a wacom table-mouse)
jitters a bit when it's sitting still and, as a result, my
screen won't properly go into DPMS sleep unless i move the
mouse off the tablet altogether.

searching a bit, it seems like if you're using xscreensaver,
increasing 'pointerHysteresis' a whole bunch might do the
trick.[1]

--Rob

[1] http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/man1.html

--
| "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane"               |