Memcached is driving me nuts

Hi.

I have two different Debian Etch machines running with the exact same
packages installed, when I use PHP memcached with compression (zlib) it
works at one machine but not the other. No errors are thrown.

I need to know why it is only working on one machine and not the other.

I am talking about the MEMCACHE_COMPRESSED flag if anyone knows about
this.

I am using this small script to test with:

<?php
	error_reporting(E_ALL);

	$memcached = new Memcache;

	$memcached->connect('localhost', 11211);

	$version = $memcached->getVersion();
	print ("<p>Memcached version: ".$version."</p>");

// 	$memcached->flush();

	$output = $memcached->get('var_key');

	if (empty($output)) {

		$memcached->set('var_key', 'Hello I am Memcached',
MEMCACHE_COMPRESSED, 3600);

		print ("Memcached has just been set!");

	} else {

		print ("Memcached is already set with this value:
$output");

	}
?>

If I disable the compression flag (using the 'false' value or zero
value) on the failing machine, all works correctly, but when I enable
it like in the above script it fails without error.

I have also tried running memcached with "-vv" options, and checked the
log, but no errors show up.

I am suspecting that zlib isn't working right on the failing machine,
but using phpinfo() it shows that zlib is enabled.

On both machines the following packages are installed:

ii  libcompress-zlib-perl       1.42-2
ii libio-zlib-perl              1.04-1
ii zlib1g                       1.2.3-13

ii  libapache2-mod-php5 	5.2.0-8+etch13
ii php5                 	5.2.0-8+etch13
ii php5-common          	5.2.0-8+etch13
ii php5-gd              	5.2.0-8+etch13
ii  php5-imagick        	0.9.11+1-4.1
ii php5-memcache        	2.0.1-1.1
ii  php5-mysql 			5.2.0-8
+etch13
ii php5-pgsql           	5.2.0-8+etch13

Any help in understanding what is going on would be greatly
appreciated.

Best regards.

Rico