Re: Audio very bad after kernel upgrade

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 22:26:08 -0600, Kent West (westk@acu.edu) wrote:

> Ron Johnson wrote:

[...]

>> What happens when you play an audio file from the console?  This is
>> always a helpful baseline:
>>
>> $ speaker-test -t sine
>>

> Killing X and using music123 to play an .ogg file (Glenn Miller had some
> fine tunes!), I get the same type of noise.
>

> (I'm having trouble finding speaker-test to use your specific test.)

Hi Kent - I realise you have now resolved this problem, but for future
reference the speaker-test utility can be found in the alsa-utils
package.

To find out which package, "apt-file" is very useful:

bob@trantor:~$ apt-file search bin/speaker-test
alsa-utils: /usr/bin/speaker-test

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.