SOLVED: Audio very bad after kernel upgrade

Kent West wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 11/22/08 18:06, Kent West wrote:
I went from 2.6.18-6-k7 today to 2.6.26-1-686, and now the audio that was formerly working is very poor. When I have any audio playing,

As part of my diagnosing, I went back to my older kernel, and without firing up X, used music123 to play the same .ogg file I was testing with.

No sound.

Hmm. Maybe my mixer is muted. So I typed in "alsamixer", only to find it wasn't installed.

Huh. So I installed "alsa-utils", and then ran "alsamixer", and sure enough, everything was muted.

So I unmuted and adjusted, and the sound was fine.

Then I rebooted back into my new kernel, and everything sounds fine now. I guess my X mixer settings had gotten messed up sometime around the same time I upgraded my kernel, and there was some overdrive picking up ambient electrical noise. Dropping out of X and using the console tool mixer provided the clue I needed.

Thanks for the help!

--
Kent