Re: Audio very bad after kernel upgrade

Ron Johnson wrote:
On 11/22/08 18:06, Kent West wrote:
I went from 2.6.18-6-k7 today to 2.6.26-1-686, and now the audio that was formerly working is very poor. When I have any audio playing,

What kind of sound "card"?  Could it be an external USB adapter?

Integrated into the mobo:

00:07.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
       Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 AC97 Audio Controller
       Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 11
       I/O ports at e000 [size=256]
       I/O ports at e400 [size=4]
       I/O ports at e800 [size=4]
       Capabilities: <access denied>
       Kernel driver in use: VIA 82xx Audio
       Kernel modules: snd-via82xx

there's a high-pitched whine, that seems to track my mouse movements.

USB mouse?

Yes. But the noise is there even if I unplug the mouse. Then I notice it when I press keys on my PS/2 keyboard.

Once the audio stops playing (and in some cases the parent app/window closed), the audio shuts off with an audible "blip", and the whine goes away.

That's weird. I use 2.6.25 (self-compiled from linux-source-2.6.25) with no problems.

This is true in both KDE and ICEWM. I'm unsure how to go about diagnosing/fixing this problem other than dropping back to my previous kernel.

What happens when you play an audio file from the console? This is always a helpful baseline:

$ speaker-test -t sine

Killing X and using music123 to play an .ogg file (Glenn Miller had some fine tunes!), I get the same type of noise.

(I'm having trouble finding speaker-test to use your specific test.)

--
Kent