Audio very bad after kernel upgrade

I went from 2.6.18-6-k7 today to 2.6.26-1-686, and now the audio that was formerly working is very poor. When I have any audio playing, there's a high-pitched whine, that seems to track my mouse movements. Once the audio stops playing (and in some cases the parent app/window closed), the audio shuts off with an audible "blip", and the whine goes away.

This is true in both KDE and ICEWM. I'm unsure how to go about diagnosing/fixing this problem other than dropping back to my previous kernel.

--
Kent