Re: Very slim Desktop Manager

Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@vianet.ca>:
>  On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 04:22:16PM +0100, NN_il_Confusionario wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 03:36:15PM +0100, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> > > Did you try terminus? It's available as console and X11 font and last
> > > time I tried it looked equally well in both modes.
> >
> > yes, since their first apparence in debian stable. I agree that they
> > look very similar in X and in console (the difference is only due to
> > resolution, refresh rate, brightness and contrast, I suppose).
> >
> > But unfortunately my eyes disagree about the "well" part.
>
>  For console/term apps on X, I use mrxvt and here is my .mrxvtrc:
>
>  Mrxvt.xft:	true
>  Mrxvt.xftAntialias:	true
>  Mrxvt.xftAutoHint:	true
>  #Mrxvt.xftFont:		bitstream vera sans mono
>  Mrxvt.xftFont:		dejavu sans mono
>  Mrxvt.xftWeight:	medium
>  Mrxvt.xftWidth:		normal
>  Mrxvt.xftSize:		12
>  Mrxvt.background:	#F6E7CF
>  Mrxvt.showMenu:		true
>
>  so on my screen (1600x1200 @ 75 Hz), I use 12-pt dejavu sans mono
>  medium.

I believe that's my resolution (19" (inside, diagonal) IBM P200).

>  However, 95% of what I do, I do from non-X console.  In fact, I can do
>  95% of what I do on any slow computer on which I can install
>  Linux/OpenBSD.

Just to help the OP, I do most of what I do in X, but most of what I
do is text based apps (mutt, slrn, bash, perl, emacs, ...) and these
are my mrxvt entries in .Xresources (instead of ~/.mrx*):

mrxvt*foreground:               wheat
mrxvt*background:               gray90
mrxvt*initTermNumber:           1
mrxvt*initProfileList:          2
mrxvt.geometry:                 105x57
mrxvt.font:                     -*-*-medium-r-normal-*-15-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-15

>  Often, I access one of my computers from a real DEC VT220 (white on

My first (programming job) employer sat me down to an orange on black
gas plasma version of that.  I should sue.