Re: Very slim Desktop Manager

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 04:22:16PM +0100, NN_il_Confusionario wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 03:36:15PM +0100, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> > Did you try terminus? It's available as console and X11 font and last
> > time I tried it looked equally well in both modes.
>
> yes, since their first apparence in debian stable. I agree that they
> look very similar in X and in console (the difference is only due to
> resolution, refresh rate, brightness and contrast, I suppose).
>
> But unfortunately my eyes disagree about the "well" part.

I agree: I hate terminus.

For console/term apps on X, I use mrxvt and here is my .mrxvtrc:

8-<

Mrxvt.xft:	true
Mrxvt.xftAntialias:	true
Mrxvt.xftAutoHint:	true
#Mrxvt.xftFont:		bitstream vera sans mono
Mrxvt.xftFont:		dejavu sans mono
Mrxvt.xftWeight:	medium
Mrxvt.xftWidth:		normal
Mrxvt.xftSize:		12
Mrxvt.background:	#F6E7CF
Mrxvt.showMenu:		true

8-<

so on my screen (1600x1200 @ 75 Hz), I use 12-pt dejavu sans mono
medium.

Its the best I found.

However, 95% of what I do, I do from non-X console.  In fact, I can do
95% of what I do on any slow computer on which I can install
Linux/OpenBSD.

Often, I access one of my computers from a real DEC VT220 (white on
black model), which uses a standard PS/2 keyboard.  I purchased it off
eBay for $30.  Paid more for 100' of serial cable and connectors :)

Doug.