Re: Software For Book Writing

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 04:18:53PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> I'm not sure what you mean by that reference to recycling.  Do you mean
> that replacing the machine will produce more waste

yes, in almost all parts of the planet when one dismiss a tecnological
product one produces something bad for ecology, since the product is not
correclty recycled.

> > * I am not expert, but I do not belive that it is so easy and so cheap
> > to find a i386 compatible processor (and motherboard, ...) that consumes
> > less power than a old fanless 486 and is as much reliable as that old
> > processor. However I am very interested in the contrary.
>
> This is Debian: the family of the CPU doesn't really matter.

sorry, I was referring to the fact that the wife of one debian user has
health problems with frequencies of 200Mz and above. I have problems
with english language.

> For a headless machine, a little MIPS-based home-router will definitely
> consume less and should be just as reliable.

I do not dubt this. My phrase also had the specification "i386
compatible". And I was not thinking/talking about headless (which could
be related to the reasons to have a i386 compatible processor and
motherboard, but I am not sure).