dpkg -i from within postinst script

I work for a company that uses a specific java build - we are only
allowed to download it from a specific internal site, that is
authenticated.
I have written a package that downloads and builds it into a deb
(using make-jpkg + extra definitions) as part of the postinst script.
I would like it to install the package too, however everything i have
tried doesnt work

Obviously dpkg is locked, so tried forking a background bash process
to wait for it to become unlocked and then install, but the postinst
seems to wait for that to exit - so waits forever.

Short of adding a cronjob that tries to install it, and deletes itself
when done, can anyone think of any other ways I can have a deb marked
for installation after apt/dpkg is done with the current operation?
I have been unable to find anything built-in to dpkg that would let me
add it to the list of files to install, but maybe it exists?

Anton

--
Anton Piatek
email: anton@piatek.co.uk

No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a
significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.