Re: Switching from Etch to Lenny - help me assess the risk.

On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 10:56:31 -0600, lee (lee@yun.yagibdah.de) wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 04:56:06 +1300
> Chris Bannister <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz> wrote:
>
> > My understanding is that "stable" means unchanging.
>
> See http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-choosing.en.html#s3.1. That would
> indicate that "stable" doesn't mean "unchanging" but "likely to not
> have as many bugs" as testing or unstable.

Section 3.1.5 of the page you quoted says:

 Stable is rock solid. It does not break.

 Testing breaks less often than Unstable. But when it breaks, it takes a
 long time for things to get rectified. Sometimes this could be days and
 it could be months at times.

 Unstable changes a lot, and it can break at any point. However, fixes
 get rectified in many occasions in a couple of days and it always has
 the latest releases of software packaged for Debian.

Which in my albeit limited experience, seems to be a pretty accurate
set of definitions.

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.