Re: OT about Asus, was Re: What is the point of RAID?

On Sat, Nov 08, 2008 at 12:31:27PM +0000, Nuno Magalh??es wrote:
> I have an Asus M2NPV-VM board for over a year now with no particular
> issues, it's my best desktop so far. A fresh install will require to
> fiddle with sound configurations so i won't get a constant annoying
> beep, but that's software. The fan is the most silent (if cou compare
> to the older PIIs i have laying around...). I'm happy with Asus, but
> i'll buy whatever seems reliable, regardless of logo.

Gee, a board that has lasted for over a year :)

I have an IBM that is 15 years old, never had a problem. (changed the
CMOS battery, but it was only a battery not the whole RTC).

I have an Asus P-II-233 board.  CPU fan is dying.

I have a Tyan P-133 board.  RTC battery is dead/dying.  Need to buy a
new RTC, otherwise seems to work fine.

A properly designed board should not die of anything intrinsic, except
perhaps from leaking electrolytic capacitors after about 15 years or so.
Of course, in that time it may have been exposed to static discharge or
power surges but that's the fault of either the person opening the case
or a faulty power supply.

JM2cW

Doug.