Re: simple home dns, dhcp server.

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 11:50:18PM -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> look at dnsmasq.  I don't use the dhcp part, but it works just fine
> out-of-the-box for dns.  The box that connects to my (dialup) modem runs
> dnsmasq and has all my hosts in /etc/hosts.  The other boxes on my
> network know their own hostname, IP address, and the IP of the box
> running dnsmasq as the DNS server.

An /etc/ethers file to allocate addresses can also be handy (be sure to
set 'use-ethers')

arpwatch is also handy . E.g. for the time we had a strange "network
problem" where almost nothing worked. After a while I noticed a message
from arpwatch of collisions for the IP address of the server that runs
dnsmasq.

A bit of tracing, shouting, and problem solved.

> DHCP has seemed like overkill for me where each box is dedicated to
> something specific (i.e. the main box, the print/backup/terminal server,
> the OpenBSD box; with coresponding hostnames of titan, rocky (noisy
> fan), and reliant (14 years old, never a problem).

DHCP is simple and it works. It helps if you want to allow someone else
to just get an IP address. It allows all sorts of things like PXE
installation to work.

In my setup it would be:

/etc/ethers:

  00:11:22:33:44:55:66 titan