Re: disk names at boot

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 03:11:38PM -0700, ghe wrote:
> I have a hard time believing, though, that there wouldn't have been a
> lot of very loud wailing if it's not possible for us old server admins
> to set things up the way I want to...

No warranties, but:

* you can try a system where udev is NOT even installed (almost all my
systems, and all systems which I have personally installed, are of this
kind. The few remaining ones are covered by the next point).

This requires a self-complied kernel without initrd, or a debian stock
kernel where the initrd is build by yaird. Note that at this time yaird
from sid works also on etch (fetch the package, dpkg --force-depends -i,
then manually adjust in /var/lib/dpkg/status the Depends: line for
yaird; it will work also with etch libc6)

* you can try a system where udev is installed but does NOT start
neither from the initrd or at boot (use rcconf, or edit symlinks in rc.d
directories or the file /etc/rc.conf fir file-rc is installed, or
whatever). Almost the same as above.

* you can try a system where udev is installed and starts at boot (but
NOT from the initrd), but in udev.conf a directory different from /dev/
is specified. See /usr/share/doc/udev/ search for something like
"disabling udev". The difference with the previous points is that udev
still loads modules.

In my opinion, udev is pretty useless on a machine where hardware does
not change and manual loading from /etc/modules in the order you want
permits avoiding tampering with udev rules.

No warranties (even if I am VERY happy with the udev - free machines).