Re: simple home dns, dhcp server.

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 02:34:58PM +1000, Lachlan wrote:
>
>> my idea to fix this is to have an old laptop (old as in i upgraded 3
>> months ago, running lenny but hasn't been updated since august) that
>> i'm thinking could be used as the network dhcp instead of my modem
>> (which i'm thinking is half the problem) this server would connect to
>> the internet with the modem and then give each system on the network a
>> dhcp address as well as provide an internel dns.
>>
>> i've looked at guides that use bind 9 but it doesn't make a whole lot
>> of sense for what i'm trying to achieve. at least as far as i'm aware.
>> networking isn't my forte.
>>
>> so is it possible to use a single nic laptop as a dhcp/dns server for
>> an internal home network?
>>
>> if that is possible would moving my apache server to the same laptop
>> cause issues with the dhcp/dns config?
>
> look at dnsmasq.  I don't use the dhcp part, but it works just fine
> out-of-the-box for dns.  The box that connects to my (dialup) modem runs
> dnsmasq and has all my hosts in /etc/hosts.  The other boxes on my
> network know their own hostname, IP address, and the IP of the box
> running dnsmasq as the DNS server.
>
> DHCP has seemed like overkill for me where each box is dedicated to
> something specific (i.e. the main box, the print/backup/terminal server,
> the OpenBSD box; with coresponding hostnames of titan, rocky (noisy
> fan), and reliant (14 years old, never a problem).
>

> Doug.

I also use dnsmasq. I also use it to give DHCP addresses to the clients
on my home network. If find this feature very useful since all I need to
do is to give hostname to a computer and make it a DHCP client. The
dnsmasq server, in which I specify which hostname (with mac address)
should ge what IP addresses, then gives the relevant IP address to that
computer. Very neat and easy.

The computer that runs dnsmasq is connected to my ADSL modem. That
computer makes the pppoe connection and my modem works in a bridge mode.
So basically the modem is out of the picture for anything other than the
internet connection.

ever having been read.