Re: how to use mencoder to record TV program

The command you gives does not work.
It seems to me that you miss "-tv", so I add it, mencoder says sth. wrong with audio device.
I think I can omit chanlist and channel specification in mencoder command, because I can use the command below to watch TV:

mplayer -tv driver=v4l:width=640:height=480:outfmt=i420 -vo xv tv://

Maybe mplayer can manage to do its job with defaults. Omitting them will make things a little easier for me. I'm in China, which use china-bcast in xawtv.

I try a command in page below, it seems to have similiar problem:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/tv-input.html#tv-examples

Below is output of your command after adding "-tv":

MEncoder dev-SVN-rUNKNOWN-4.1.2 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel Pentium III Katmai/Pentium III Xeon Tanner (Family: 6, Model: 7, Stepping: 3)
CPUflags: Type: 6 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
success: format: 9  data: 0x0 - 0x0
TV file format detected.
Selected driver: v4l
 name: Video 4 Linux input
 author: Alex Beregszaszi
 comment: under development
 WARNING: YOU ARE USING V4L DEMUXER WITH V4L2 DRIVERS!!!
 As the V4L1 compatibility layer is broken, this may not work.
 If you encounter any problems, use driver=v4l2 instead.
 Bugreports on driver=v4l with v4l2 drivers will be ignored.
Selected device: BT848A video (Lifeview FlyVideo
 Capabilites: capture tuner overlay clipping scales
 Device type: 171
 Supported sizes: 48x32 => 924x576
 Inputs: 4
  0: Television: tuner audio tv camera  (tuner:1, norm:pal)
  1: Composite1: audio camera  (tuner:0, norm:pal)
  2: S-Video: audio camera  (tuner:0, norm:pal)
  3: Composite3: audio camera  (tuner:0, norm:pal)
Audio mode setup warning!
Requested mode was stereo, but v4l still reports mono.
You may need "forcechan" option to force stereo/mono audio recording.
Unable to open '/dev/dsp1': No such file or directory
============ Sorry, this file format is not recognized/supported =============
=== If this file is an AVI, ASF or MPEG stream, please contact the author! ===
Cannot open demuxer.

Exiting...