Re: voice chat or calls between two computers without any server in between

H.S. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is something I am not familiar with and I may not be even using the
> right words.
>
> I am wondering if there is a tool to do voice calls or chat between two
> machines on the internet without having to use any intermediate server.
>
> One machine is my own, Debian Testing or Unstable, and the other machine
> is a Ubuntu Hardy or Debian Testing half a world away. What we would
> like is to do a voice chat between two users and, ideally, the voice
> session going through an SSH tunnel. SSH tunnel will be preferred
> because the other computer is behind a firewall and may not have any
> exotic ports forwarded, or even allowed going out without asking an
> administrator to change firewall rules, for some chat applications.
>
> Can Ekiga to this? I have an ekiga account but haven't really used it
> for any talks yet. But it appears to need a server (same as Yahoo or gtalk).
>
> Any inputs regarding this will be appreciated.
> Regards.

Just discovered that I can call a user at a remote machine using ekiga
and without having an ekiga account. To make a call to Joe for example,
I just call sip:joe@remote.machine.fqdn.

Now all that is left is to see if I can do the calls through ssh tunnel
created between the two machines. For example, Joe may connect to my
machine via ssh and do forward nnn ports (the ones needed by ekiga) and
then call ME@localhost and he should be able to talk to me on ekiga.

Regards.

ever having been read.