Re: voice chat or calls between two computers without any server in between

On Sat, Nov 01, 2008 at 07:21:13PM -0400, H.S. wrote:
> H.S. wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > This is something I am not familiar with and I may not be even using the
> > right words.
> >
> > I am wondering if there is a tool to do voice calls or chat between two
> > machines on the internet without having to use any intermediate server.
> >
> > One machine is my own, Debian Testing or Unstable, and the other machine
> > is a Ubuntu Hardy or Debian Testing half a world away. What we would
> > like is to do a voice chat between two users and, ideally, the voice
> > session going through an SSH tunnel. SSH tunnel will be preferred
> > because the other computer is behind a firewall and may not have any
> > exotic ports forwarded, or even allowed going out without asking an
> > administrator to change firewall rules, for some chat applications.
> >
> > Can Ekiga to this? I have an ekiga account but haven't really used it
> > for any talks yet. But it appears to need a server (same as Yahoo or gtalk).
> >
> > Any inputs regarding this will be appreciated.
> > Regards.
>
> Just discovered that I can call a user at a remote machine using ekiga
> and without having an ekiga account. To make a call to Joe for example,
> I just call sip:joe@remote.machine.fqdn.

SSH can only forward TCP ports. SIP is normally using UDP . I'm not sure
Ekiga supports SIP/TCP. But even if it does, the actual audio in a SIP session is carried over in a RTP, which is a different UDP "connection".

> Now all that is left is to see if I can do the calls through ssh tunnel
> created between the two machines. For example, Joe may connect to my
> machine via ssh and do forward nnn ports (the ones needed by ekiga) and
> then call ME@localhost and he should be able to talk to me on ekiga.

Try using openvpn instead.

Speex/wb would probably be the best codec to use.