Re: Sarge Repository Gone

s. keeling wrote:

Nick Boyce <nick@glimmer.adsl24.co.uk>:
 Can anyone confirm for me that it should be okay for us to repoint
 sources.list to archive.d.o for a while, in order to apt-get anything we

Why not just point it at a locally mounted DVD?  Then, you'd be safe
from a direct strike on a.d.o (though nothing else)? :-P

Yep, could do that - I think we've got an ISO for Sarge somewhere ....

I found a blog post by Joerg Jaspert [1] explaining that he began the removal of Sarge from the main repository on 26th.Oct.2008, and is transferring it to archive.d.o, and expects the process to take a few days.

Actually I've been trying to use the new repository, just to see what happens. It's a bit unreliable so far :

Yesterday:

MYBOX:/etc/apt# apt-get update
Get:1 http://archive.debian.org sarge/main Packages [4523kB]
Hit http://security.debian.org sarge/updates/main Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org sarge/updates/main Release
Hit http://security.debian.org sarge/updates/contrib Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org sarge/updates/contrib Release
Hit http://de3.samba.org sarge/samba Packages
Hit http://de3.samba.org sarge/samba Release
Get:2 http://archive.debian.org sarge/main Release [98B]
Get:3 http://archive.debian.org sarge/non-free Packages [76.6kB]
Get:4 http://archive.debian.org sarge/non-free Release [102B]
Fetched 4599kB in 44s (104kB/s)
Reading Package Lists... Done

But today:

MYBOX:/etc/apt# apt-get update
Err http://security.debian.org sarge/updates/main Packages
  404 Not Found
Err http://archive.debian.org sarge/main Packages
  404 Not Found
Ign http://security.debian.org sarge/updates/main Release
Ign http://archive.debian.org sarge/main Release
Err http://security.debian.org sarge/updates/contrib Packages
  404 Not Found
Err http://archive.debian.org sarge/non-free Packages
  404 Not Found
Ign http://security.debian.org sarge/updates/contrib Release
Ign http://archive.debian.org sarge/non-free Release
Hit http://de3.samba.org sarge/samba Packages
Hit http://de3.samba.org sarge/samba Release
Failed to fetch http://security.debian.org/dists/sarge/updates/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz 404 Not Found Failed to fetch http://security.debian.org/dists/sarge/updates/contrib/binary-i386/Packages.gz 404 Not Found Failed to fetch http://archive.debian.org/debian-archive/dists/sarge/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz 404 Not Found Failed to fetch http://archive.debian.org/debian-archive/dists/sarge/non-free/binary-i386/Packages.gz 404 Not Found
Reading Package Lists... Done
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

I've just stopped using apt-get to d.o sites for now. I'd rather not have to leave a DVD in the server's DVD-ROM drive, but it could be done.

[1] http://blog.ganneff.de/blog/2008/10/26/archiving-sarge-aka-oldstable.html

Cheers
Nick Boyce