Re: High Disk Temperatures

Hi David,

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 11:06 AM, David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:

> Got my new WDC800 disk up and running, LVM (fantastic tool!). 2.6.26-rt now
> boots without problems.
>
> I have noted that during high disk access rates, the temperature of the WDC
> soars (from a 33c idle to up to 44c!). Such high temperatures are not
> desirable.

Quote from Wikipedia:

"A common misconception is that a colder hard drive will last longer
than a hotter hard drive. The Google study seems to imply the reverse
-- "lower temperatures are associated with higher failure rates". Hard
drives with S.M.A.R.T.-reported average temperatures below 27 °C had
failure rates worse than hard drives with the highest reported average
temperature of 50 °C, failure rates at least twice as high as the
optimum S.M.A.R.T.-reported temperature range of 36 °C to 47 °C."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive

Manon.