Re: [Debian-User] Partitioning Scheme

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 10:02 PM, Javier Vasquez <jevv.cr@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to install a new Debian system.  Previously what I've done
> is to create 3 partitions (/, /boot, swap), but now that I have the
> oporttunity, I'd like to do things differently.  I was reading the
> Debian reference guide (the security part), and also openBsd
> partitioning schemes, and they both agree that having specific storage
> areas in different isolated sections (partitions in this case), would
> help a lot for security reasons, so that for example a section won't
> grow beyond its limits (inhibiting other pieces of the system to
> operate correctly), and also some speed reasons are argued as well,
> :)...
>
> Well, The following scheme is proposed (from what I read btoh from
> openBsd and Debian reference guide):
>
> Partition               Suggested Size (openBsd)
>
> /                             150   M
> /usr                        6       G
> /var                        80     M
> /tmp                      120    M
> /home                   4        G
> /boot
> /opt
>
> /usr/local
> /usr/src                  4        G          <=  Source compilation oriented.
> /var/log                  150   M
> /var/tmp                 1       G
> /var/www
> /var/mail
>
> /var/spool/mail
> /var/cache/apt
>
> However I'm not sure about those numbers, and besides there's no clear
> size for ALL targets.  Is there some other documentation around with
> sizes suggestions?  I understand this, like anything else is, "well,
> it depends"...  My intention is to install a web/mail/printer/...
> server, multiuser, and I also want users to still be able to keep
> multimedia at their homes, and I want a secure scheme as possible as
> well, etc.  I count with a 180 G...
>
> Any suggestions, specially to fill in the sizes, would be helpful.
> Notice my previous approaches would consist on a 500M /boot, a 1G swap
> (the box has 512M ram), and ~6.5G /, but I want to change that, :)

Unless you use an unusual file system, or encryption or something,
I don't see a reason to have a separate /boot.

My root (no var, tmp, usr, or home) is 195 MB right now, so I would
suggest *at least* 500 MB ( I have 2 GB for plenty of room).

While it is true that I install lots of unneeded crap, my /usr is 16 GB
in size right now. I would use at least 10 GB of /usr. But at the same
time I don't split anything under /usr onto separate partitions. I don't
see a need at all. Maybe /usr/local if I was going to have tons of
compiled from tarball/vcs code.

I have never been clear on this but it seems like /opt is just what
Red Hat uses instead of /usr/local. I don't even have an /opt dir.

I see no need to break /var into pieces. A single var partition should
be enough. Mine has about 5 gigs, 1.1 GBs used.

My /tmp  contains about 400 MB of stuff at the moment, and I am
not even doing anything that would use it intensively. I would say
at least 1 GB ( I have 16 GB, mainly because I had leftover space
on that drive)

I keep my web site in /srv/www. This is  following the Filesystem
Hierarchy Standard [1].   I don't run a mail sever right now, but if
I did, I would keep the mail in /svr/mail, not the recommended
/var/mail.  That's just me, though.

Andrei Popescu said:

>du -hx --max-depth=1 /

Personally, I have this in my .aliases file:

alias ds='du --max-depth=1 -h'

(ds = directory size)

I find it very useful, especially since I don't use a graphical
file manger much.

[1] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers