Re: how to convert several .flv files to a real media file?

Hi Serena,

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 5:48 AM, Serena Cantor <qipaishi2006@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Besides, mencoder can encode .flv. See its usage page:
>
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-selecting-codec.html
>
> At the end of the web page above, it has an example how to convert a avi file to a .flv flash file.

Thanks! You're right. I remember reading somewhere that mencoder
couldn't join .flv files, but apparently that was outdated or
incorrect info. But as I was happy with output in .avi I didn't bother
to look any further.

Now I downloaded two small cartoons from YouTube and managed to join
the two .flv files with the following command:

mencoder in1.flv in2.flv -o out.flv -of lavf -oac mp3lame -lameopts
abr:br=56 -srate 22050 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=flv:vbitrate=500:mbd=2:mv0:trell:v4mv:cbp:last_pred=3 -lavfopts
i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames

However, it took mencoder a considerable amount of time and the output
file was more than triple size of the two input files.

Using: "mencoder -oac copy  -ovc copy  -idx  -o out.avi  in1.flv
in2.flv" goes way much faster and results in an output file slightly
larger than double size of the two input files.

Maybe fine tuning the opts results in smaller file size (and quality
loss??) for .flv, but please don't ask me :-)

Comparing the output, .avi equals .flv and for both I find no real
quality loss compared with the original files. So I'll stick with .avi
for now, but it might come in handy some day if I really need .flv
output.

Greetings, Manon.