Re: Partitioning Scheme

On Oct 25, 1:10 am, "Javier Vasquez" <jevv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to install a new Debian system.  Previously what I've done
> is to create 3 partitions (/, /boot, swap), but now that I have the
> oporttunity, I'd like to do things differently.  I was reading the
> Debian reference guide (the security part), and also openBsd
> partitioning schemes, and they both agree that having specific storage
> areas in different isolated sections (partitions in this case), would
> help a lot for security reasons, so that for example a section won't
> grow beyond its limits (inhibiting other pieces of the system to
> operate correctly), and also some speed reasons are argued as well,
> :)...
>
> Well, The following scheme is proposed (from what I read btoh from
> openBsd and Debian reference guide):
>
> Partition               Suggested Size (openBsd)
>
> /                             150   M
> /usr                        6       G
> /var                        80     M
> /tmp                      120    M
> /home                   4        G
> /boot
> /opt
>
> /usr/local
> /usr/src                  4        G          <=  Source compilation oriented.
> /var/log                  150   M
> /var/tmp                 1       G
> /var/www
> /var/mail
>
> /var/spool/mail
> /var/cache/apt
>
> However I'm not sure about those numbers, and besides there's no clear
> size for ALL targets.  Is there some other documentation around with
> sizes suggestions?  I understand this, like anything else is, "well,
> it depends"...  My intention is to install a web/mail/printer/...
> server, multiuser, and I also want users to still be able to keep
> multimedia at their homes, and I want a secure scheme as possible as
> well, etc.  I count with a 180 G...
>
> Any suggestions, specially to fill in the sizes, would be helpful.
> Notice my previous approaches would consist on a 500M /boot, a 1G swap
> (the box has 512M ram), and ~6.5G /, but I want to change that, :)
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Javier

Although it's not always recommended to have / on a LVM, I have
successfully
used three partitions on my systems:

/boot
LVM Group
swap

and then create in the LVM all of the other partitions I want. Then,
if needed, it's
easy to change the size of any partition if I had the initial size
wrong.

Stuart