Re: digital out with alsa

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 04:13:05PM +1100, Alex Samad wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have recently purchased a new motherboard gigabyte ga-m750sli-ds4
>
> it has a nvidia / intel sound chip set
> NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC882 Analog [ALC882 Analog]
>
> 00:07.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation Device 0774 (rev a1)
> 	Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Device a002
> 	Flags: 66MHz, fast devsel, IRQ 21
> 	Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
> 	Capabilities: <access denied>
> 	Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
>

> I have tried to get the digital out working on this card, but it seems
> like there is a problem with the current kernel/deb package 2.6.26-1-amd64
>
> From what I have found (on the ubunto forums) (i am running debian :) )
> this has been fixed in 8.10 alpha 5 - which includes linux 2.6.27 (or .28).
>
> There has also been some mention that it is fixed in alsa 1.0.18rc3, we currently
> only have 1.0.17 (current stable).  I have checked experimental but its not there either.
>
> Any one got any tip on who to compile up 1.0.18rc from the alsa site to work with 2.6.26-1-amd64
>
> Or any one else got a fix for this ???
>

> As a work around until the alsa stuff makes it into the debian repos, i found an old card
> sounds blaster audigy2 live
>
> Audigy2 [Audigy 2 Value [SB0400]], device 0: emu10k1 [ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback]
>
> 01:07.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB0400 Audigy2 Value
> 	Subsystem: Creative Labs Device 1001
> 	Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 17
> 	I/O ports at 9400 [size=64]
> 	Capabilities: <access denied>
> 	Kernel driver in use: EMU10K1_Audigy
> 	Kernel modules: snd-emu10k1
>
> I have plugged in the coax and run a speaker-test with alsa, I only get sound on the left and right speakers
> i get nothing on the other speaker - base center surround.

I decided to just use it as is and it seems like all the speakers are working, the speaker-test program isn't :(

--
"Earlier today, the Libyan government released Fathi Jahmi. She's a local government official who was imprisoned in 2002 for advocating free speech and democracy."

	- George W. Bush
03/12/2004
citing Jahmi, who is a man, in a speech paying tribute to women reformers during International Women's Week, Washington, D.C.