Re: Question on configuration

--- Raj Kiran Grandhi <grajkiran@gmail.com> wrote:

> Stephen Liu wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >

> > Debian Etch - base installation, running as domU (guest) on a Xen
> box
> >

> > I'm installing BIND on its tarball and encountering following
> problem.
> >

> > # ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/bind
> > checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
> > checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
> > checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
> > checking for ranlib... ranlib
> > checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
> > checking whether ln -s works... yes
> > checking for ar... /usr/bin/ar
> > checking for etags... no
> > checking for emacs-etags... no
> > checking for perl5... no
> > checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
> > checking for gcc... no
> > checking for cc... no
> > checking for cl.exe... no
> > configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
> > See `config.log' for more details.
>
> If all you need is a recent version of bind9, it may be simpler to
> just
> install it from the sid repos. If you are determined to build from
> the
> source, then first install the package build-essential. Also install
> the
> build dependencies for bind9.
>
> # apt-get install build-essential
> That will install the compilers and development libraries needed to
> build any package.
>
> Assuming you have a line for sid sources in your sources.list,
>
> # apt-get build-dep bind9
> will install all the dependencies required to compile bind9

Hi

Thanks for your advice.

I'm building "postfix virtual" mail server.

Previouls I have been following 3 howtos building "postfix virtual"
mail server.  After finish non of the server can work.

Now I'm following "Postfix Virtual";
http://www.postfixvirtual.net/

to go 4th round.

This howto starts installing packages on their tarballs.  I 'm prepared
following all steps there.

Do I need installing gcc, perl5, etc. ?  Thanks

B.R.
Stephen L