Re: Question on configuration

Stephen Liu wrote:
Hi folks,

Debian Etch - base installation, running as domU (guest) on a Xen box

I'm installing BIND on its tarball and encountering following problem.

# ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/bind
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for ar... /usr/bin/ar
checking for etags... no
checking for emacs-etags... no
checking for perl5... no
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl.exe... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.

If all you need is a recent version of bind9, it may be simpler to just install it from the sid repos. If you are determined to build from the source, then first install the package build-essential. Also install the build dependencies for bind9.

# apt-get install build-essential
That will install the compilers and development libraries needed to build any package.

Assuming you have a line for sid sources in your sources.list,

# apt-get build-dep bind9
will install all the dependencies required to compile bind9

Which of the above package shall I install ?

Which C compiler shall I install? Any other additional packages ?
Please help.  TIA

B.R.
Stephen L

                                       -- Albert Einstein