Re: making ssh connections persistent

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 03:23:29PM -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> I often use ssh to access other computers at school. However, I can't make
> these connections persistent. If there is no activity (say in 20 minutes),
> the ssh connection just freezes up. As a result, I have to kill all the
> gvim, xterm windows opened from that terminal. This is very annoying if I
> am coding something.
>
> Is it possible to make ssh connections which do not freeze even if there is
> no activity for a while?

This is not a solution to your problem, but I just wanted to mention
screen. What screen does is, that (in addition to multiplexing
terminals), it preserves the state of all the terminals and all
processes running in them. So, even if I get disconnected, if I just
reconnect and do screen -r, I get back all things I was working on.

Of course, this solution is not for X based applications, but works
nicely for console based ones.

Kumar
--
Kumar Appaiah