Re: From the top... cutting down Gnome

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 06:59:36PM +0100, Steven Maddox (Cyorxamp) wrote:
> I originally posted about installing Gnome (and X) on a base setup to
> avoid the entire 'Gnome Experience' inclusive of the web browser I don't
> use, mail/news client I don't use, the 17 games I won't play, etc...
> I've totally screwed my system trying to remove these things from my
> already installed CD1 of Lenny (i.e. it comes with the full 'Gnome
> Experience') it seems to be a rampage to remove everything (again)
>
> So scrap my original question about starting from scratch...
>
> What is the best way of installing Lenny CD1 (Full Gnome) then getting
> rid of the bits you don't want ... from the top!

First, read and have available the aptitude manual.  Its in html so you
should probably have lynx available.

If you want to try to rescue your existing system:

Now that you know how to use aptitude from the interactive curses
interface, have set it to not automatically install recommends, ensure
that your box boots to the VT login (not an X login).

Now, run aptitude curses and, starting at the top of installed packages,
go through the whole shebang and mark as Automatically installed any
package that you don't specifically want, and mark as manually installed
(i.e. without the "A" flag) any package that you do specifically want.
Don't do too much at a time since you may miss something in the clutter.
Once you have about 20 packages that will be removed, hit 'g' and review
the list, then 'g' again to do it.  Then carry marking/unmarking until
you have the packages installed that you want.

If you really want to start over:

IIUC, just because the CD has the gnome packages on it doesn't mean that
you have to install gnome during the install.  I never install, from the
installer, anything other than the base system (I unselect "standard").
Then once the system boots normally, I run aptitude and bring things in
a bit at a time:

lynx, vim, mutt, exim4 (or whatever MTA you want), mc, plus whatever
documentation I want (e.g. debian-reference, doc-linux)

This gives a good CLI environment.  When I'm ready for X, I install
icewm, mrxvt.  I look at the meta-package for X and from its depends I
select those I wish.  I suppose you could do the same for gnome.  I
don't know what you want gnome for (i.e. what components you do want).

Doug.