Re: Hard freezes with Sid/Experimental

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 1:35 PM, Andrei Popescu
<andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue,21.Oct.08, 18:47:07, Kelly Clowers wrote:
>
>> The most recent obvious candidate change is the most recent kernel update,
>> which I did shortly before the first freeze. This was the upgrade to
>> linux-image-2.6.26-1-686 version 2.6.26-9.
>>
>> I see nothing in syslog - everything is normal and then BAM! - restart.
>>
>> If anyone has any ideas or advice, that would be great.
>> Otherwise, I guess this a warning to be alert for problems.
>
> Try an earlier kernel, like 2.6.25 or so (I always keep at least on
> older version arround).

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 2:44 AM, thveillon.debian
<thveillon.debian@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There have been several similar threads on the French and English lists
> recently, many more on forums, and although it looks too generic to put all
> this problems together the symptoms are always the same : complete freeze
> with display staying on, ssh or sysrq not working, logs still running for a
> few minutes (if you run a tail -f in console mode) then dyes, sound keeps
> going in a loop...
> Nothing to be found in any log.
>
> It happened to me with all 2.6.25, and some 2.6.26 starting with revision 2
> (or 3, can't remember now), on both 32bit "bigmem" and amd64 on only one
> machine (tried an image of the same system on three others).
> It doesn't seem to be X-related, since running in text mode without Xorg
> running leads to the same freezes. I could only get it to stop by compiling
> the kernel without /proc support, so maybe acpi and/or cpufreq related, but
> despite several tests together with Debian kernel people I couldn't isolate
> a specific problem ( opened a bug when it first started on 2.6.25 #482100 ).
> It's happening to people with various hardware, ati or amd graphic boards,
> intel or amd cpu. Impossible to find a common denominator so far.
>
> It has now stopped with kernel 2.6.27, even running cpufreq and full acpi
> with /proc compiled in doesn't trigger any problem. Tried with both
> kernel.org vanilla kernel and Debian experimental one (currently running the
> later).
>
> If it can be of any help.
>
> Tom

I hope you don't mind me pushing this to the list (I think it was
meant for the list anyway, I do the same thing sometimes with
the gmail interface)

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I think I may try
2.6.27 first (I don't see it in exp., though) then .25 if that
doesn't work, and I will try alt-sysrq, although I have doubts
that it will work.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers