Re: Hard freezes with Sid/Experimental

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 2:44 AM, thveillon.debian
<thveillon.debian@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hi,

There have been several similar threads on the French and English lists
recently, many more on forums, and although it looks too generic to put all
this problems together the symptoms are always the same : complete freeze
with display staying on, ssh or sysrq not working, logs still running for a
few minutes (if you run a tail -f in console mode) then dyes, sound keeps
going in a loop...
Nothing to be found in any log.

It happened to me with all 2.6.25, and some 2.6.26 starting with revision 2
(or 3, can't remember now), on both 32bit "bigmem" and amd64 on only one
machine (tried an image of the same system on three others).
It doesn't seem to be X-related, since running in text mode without Xorg
running leads to the same freezes. I could only get it to stop by compiling
the kernel without /proc support, so maybe acpi and/or cpufreq related, but
despite several tests together with Debian kernel people I couldn't isolate
a specific problem ( opened a bug when it first started on 2.6.25 #482100 ).
It's happening to people with various hardware, ati or amd graphic boards,
intel or amd cpu. Impossible to find a common denominator so far.

It has now stopped with kernel 2.6.27, even running cpufreq and full acpi
with /proc compiled in doesn't trigger any problem. Tried with both
kernel.org vanilla kernel and Debian experimental one (currently running the
later).

If it can be of any help.

Tom

I hope you don't mind me pushing this to the list (I think it was
meant for the list anyway, I do the same thing sometimes with
the gmail interface)

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I think I may try
2.6.27 first (I don't see it in exp., though) then .25 if that
doesn't work, and I will try alt-sysrq, although I have doubts
that it will work.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Not at all, it was meant for the list, but a change of Icedove skin confused me between the two buttons...

You'll find 2.6.27 at :

deb http://kernel-archive.buildserver.net/debian-kernel/ trunk main

Don't know when it will arrive in Sid.

Tom