Re: How to mirror a server installation?

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008, Arnau wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Jeff D wrote:
> > On Tue, 21 Oct 2008, Arnau wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > >  I'd like to mirror all the packages installed in a production server with
> > > the
> > > same versions. The idea is to have a enviroment test the upgrades before
> > > apply
> > > those upgrades to the real production server. What is the best way to do
> > > this?
> > >
> > > Thank you very much
> > >

> > You can do something like this:
> > on the current machine:
> > sudo dpkg --get-selections > server.selections
> >
> > then copy the server.selections file to your test machine and run:
> > sudo apt-get update
> > sudo dpkg --set-selections < server.selections
> > sudo apt-get dselect-upgrde
> >

> > That will install all packages that are on your current server on your
> > test server.
>
>   I like this option more than the one proposed François. Will this install
> the same versions I in the production server?
>

> Thanks

Assuming of course that you have the same sources listed in
/etc/apt/sources.list , in regards to stable/testing/sid.  So, if both
machines are etch, then all packages will be the same version.  But, this
will only upgrade packages installed through apt/aptitude.  Any packages
that have been installed by hand wont be upgraded.

Jeff