Re: How to mirror a server installation?

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008, Arnau wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>  I'd like to mirror all the packages installed in a production server with the
> same versions. The idea is to have a enviroment test the upgrades before apply
> those upgrades to the real production server. What is the best way to do this?
>
> Thank you very much

You can do something like this:
on the current machine:
sudo dpkg --get-selections > server.selections

then copy the server.selections file to your test machine and run:
sudo apt-get update
sudo dpkg --set-selections < server.selections
sudo apt-get dselect-upgrde

That will install all packages that are on your current server on your
test server.

hth,
Jeff