Re: How to mirror a server installation?

Le Mar 21 octobre 2008 11:41, Arnau a écrit :
>   I'd like to mirror all the packages installed in a production server
> with the same versions. The idea is to have a enviroment test the
> upgrades before apply those upgrades to the real production server. What
> is the best way to do this?

Hi,

You certainly already have a SSH server running on the production server.
If you can have a root ssh connexion (without password, only with key
challenge), I can see two solutions by booting the test server with a
LiveCD :
- you can reformat the test server's filesystem, mount it and run the
following command :
  ssh root@productionserver "tar cf - /" | (cd TestServerFSMountPoint ;
tar xvf - )
- you can only update the test server's FS with rsync, you mount it and
run something like :
  rsync -av --delete root@productionserver:/ /TestServerFSMountPoint

Don't forget to update the files in /etc. You have to change all the IP
and host occurences :
- grep -r www.xxx.yyy.zzz /etc
- grep -r productionserver /etc

You can certainly automate the changes with the following commands :
- grep -r www.xxx.yyy.zzz /etc | cut -d: -f1 | xargs sed -i
's/www.xxx.yyy.zzz/aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd/g'
- grep -r productionserver /etc | cut -d: -f1 | xargs sed -i
's/productionserver/testserver/g'

Fanfan
--
http://www.cerbelle.net - http://www.afdm-idf.org