Cannot login to Debian Lenny

Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble to login to my Debian Lenny, indepent whether I wan't to
login using gdm or plain at the console. Another is that I don't know much
about Linux, I am still trying to get along with it.

The problem is that when the dialog appears to enter the username I do so,
the computer does some action for a short period, as if it would check the
password, and I get the dialoge "Legitmation failed" without being able to
actually enter a password! After that I am prompted to enter a username
again. All I can do to enter the system is to login in single user mode.

The problem occured having installed thinkfinger on my T61. I think I
managed to get rid of anything that was installed by tf, though I'm not
sure.

I alredy looked through the /etc/pam.d/ files and wasn't able to find
anything converning thinkfinger. I already changed back the common-auth,
which was altered by thinkfinger.

So at this point, I am not even sure if the problem is accounted by
thinkfinger. Can you think of anything else that might be broken so I cannot
login to my system, because I am not asked for a password.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Torsten