Re: Cannot login to Debian Lenny

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 21:21:43 +0200, Torsten A. wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm having trouble to login to my Debian Lenny, indepent whether I wan't to
> login using gdm or plain at the console. Another is that I don't know much
> about Linux, I am still trying to get along with it.
>
> The problem is that when the dialog appears to enter the username I do so,
> the computer does some action for a short period, as if it would check the
> password, and I get the dialoge "Legitmation failed" without being able to
> actually enter a password! After that I am prompted to enter a username
> again. All I can do to enter the system is to login in single user mode.
>
> The problem occured having installed thinkfinger on my T61. I think I
> managed to get rid of anything that was installed by tf, though I'm not
> sure.
>
> I alredy looked through the /etc/pam.d/ files and wasn't able to find
> anything converning thinkfinger. I already changed back the common-auth,
> which was altered by thinkfinger.
>
> So at this point, I am not even sure if the problem is accounted by
> thinkfinger. Can you think of anything else that might be broken so I cannot
> login to my system, because I am not asked for a password.

You could try a brute-force check of all packages that are supposed to
have files in /etc/pam.d/ on your system:

dpkg -S etc/pam.d/ | cut -d\: -f1 | sort -u | while read PKG; do debsums -a $PKG; done | grep -v OK$

This should show you all the files that have been changed from their
default; maybe that will help to narrow down your search.

If that does not lead anywhere then I would have a closer look at the
thinkfinger installation and removal scripts to figure out what they
might have done to disable passwords.

          Florian   |