Re: virtual private server? advice requested

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 03:20:09 +0200, Sam Kuper wrote:

> Well, maybe you're right about that, but:
> (1) My point still stands: start low and upgrade if needed. This way
> you won't be paying over the odds. Most VPS providers offer
> near-instant upgrades.
> (2) The OP didn't require MySQL. He specified static pages. This will
> lower his memory requirements.
> (3) Neither you nor the OP specified which version of Apache, nor
> which mods. This will also affect his memory requirements.
> (4) I'm fairly sure it's possible to get an email & web server running
> on Etch with less than 128MB RAM. Whether the resulting server would
> be able to handle the loads the OP specified, I'm not sure, but it's
> doubtful. See (1) above.
> (5) OpenVZ has a lower overhead resource usage (see
> http://vpslink.com/compare/openvz-vs-xen-vps-hosting/) so it's a less
> expensive option unless you need Xen-specific VPS features (the
> ability to tweak the kernel, for instance). This could explain why
> your 64MB vpsvillage.com account (on Xen) might have lower performance
> than, say, a 64MB VPSVille.ca account (on OpenVZ).

All,

Wow... thanks so much for the flood of responses! Slicehost has been
mentioned positively in this thread and by FOAFs, and their website smells
good, so I think I'll go with that. I was hoping to spend less, but $20/mo
is fine.

Also, I discovered lighttpd and nginx, and I think one of them will meet
my needs, saving a ton of memory vs. Apache... lighttpd/nginx + exim4 +
spamd looks like it will fit just fine in 256M even under a load burst.

Thanks again,

Reid