Re: virtual private server? advice requested

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 10:35:10PM +0100, Steve Kemp wrote:
> On Tue Oct 14, 2008 at 21:28:50 +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>
> > This can easily be done with a Xen guest. Not possible, from what I can
> > tell, with a OpenVZ host.

s/OpenVZ host/OpenVZ guest/ naturally.

>   Also OpenVZ can be oversold easily, whereas the same can't be done
>  with Xen.  (Well not memory anyway.)

THe CPU time can still be shared (and oversold).

>   Xen is probably a nice option, but UML, KVM, VMWare are all
>  much of a muchness if you're only paying peanuts for a small guest
>  somewhere.

At least at the time I did my searches, Xen was popular among hosting
providers. At least those that offered unmanaged Debian guests, which is
what I wanted.

UML had a head-start, but has no read technical atvantage, AFAIK, and
was on the retreat when I looked (e.g: linode.com). I was surprised at
the relative small amount of vmware-based services. KVM was not mature
enough at the time.