Re: Filing bug reports in Debian (was Re: Debian Stole My Name!)

Hal Vaughan wrote:
Both of your comments involve disagreements over differences of opinion -- but I can see where you're coming from and I think the point about rewording the warnings in menu.lst would go a long way toward addressing the issue that led me to file the bug report.

If filing the bug report had led to that kind of discussion, I would have felt much better about it than I did when I decided to just give up. I can deal with a disagreement. What I found frustrating was that it felt like the focus was only on justifying why the bug was elsewhere and there was no need to pursue it.

So it sounds like one possible solution that is agreeable to most in this discussion is to improve the documentation on menu.lst.

I've found the best way to get something fixed in an open source project is to develop a patch. Since this is documentation, it wouldn't be that hard. You can find the default menu.lst around line 260 of /usr/sbin/upgate-grub.

I don't know how knowledgeable whoever decides to do this is, but I can help a bit with the process if needed. I'm not a DD, but I do file bugs from time to time. :-)

Heck, one could even reopen the old bug, move it to grub, attach the patch and hope for the best, but there's already another bug that's very similar and might welcome such a patch (and a link to this discussion): http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=383282

Cheers,

--
Eric Gerlach, Network Administrator
Federation of Students