Re: ext3 filesystem and file name restrictions

On 2008-Oct-15, at 6:05 AM, Adam Hardy wrote:

I created a samba share on one of my debian boxes with a ext3 file system and unfortunately I can't write files with certain file names from Mac OSX.

This disrupts the back-up process which takes about an hour every time to fail when I want to try it out again.

I would create a sparse bundle (formatted as HFS+) on the Samba share and back up to that. This would mean an extra mount/unmount to access the filesystem, but you may be able to automate those steps depending on what your back-up process is.

I don't think you can create the bundle on the Samba share because of some unsupported locking or somesuch, so create it on your Mac and copy it over. (I think you will see an error on the copy, too, but the sparse bundle should work anyway in my experience. Also note that size you give to the sparse bundle is just a maximum. It will actually be quite small until you add files, so don't worry about creating it locally and moving it.)

Feel free to e-mail me directly if you need help with any of this. (or Google it. There are quite a few good articles out there.)

--
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>

Because it screws up the order in which people normally read text.