Re: Changing NIC in existing Server results in no ETH0

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 09:37:19 -0500, Keith Steensma wrote:
> I have never seen this addressed in the mailing list, so I'll have to
> ask for help
>
> I have a sever that has been running for months with a single Realtek
> 8139 network card.  The NIC failed and I put in a 3Com 3C905B-TX card
> (that I pulled from a working test machine).  When I rebooted the
> server, the 3Com card was no configured and I ended up with no ETH0
> (rather important since there is on one NIC in the server).  The correct
> module is compiled in the (stock) kernel.  I even tried putting the
> driver name into the /etc/modules file but that didn't work either.
>
> I took the same machine with a different (spare) hard drive and
> installed Lenny from the InstallCD and the 3Com NIC was found and
> configured.  The ETH0 worked fine, but not with the original Debian
> install (that was on the server).
>
> What is it that the install routine does that finds the NIC's.  Is this
> a command line (something) that can (should) be run manually

either

- the kernel in Lenny is newer and has a driver that is missing (or not
  fully functional for your hardware) on the other system

or

- the new card was assigned eth1 because the previous card's mac address
  is still listed in the database of persistent ethernet device names

Boot the problematic system and run "/sbin/ifconfig". If you see the
3Com NIC listed as eth1 then you can edit the file

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

to assign eth0 to it. (Remove or comment out the entry for the old NIC.)

          Florian   |