Changing NIC in existing Server results in no ETH0

I have never seen this addressed in the mailing list, so I'll have to ask for help

I have a sever that has been running for months with a single Realtek 8139 network card. The NIC failed and I put in a 3Com 3C905B-TX card (that I pulled from a working test machine). When I rebooted the server, the 3Com card was no configured and I ended up with no ETH0 (rather important since there is on one NIC in the server). The correct module is compiled in the (stock) kernel. I even tried putting the driver name into the /etc/modules file but that didn't work either.

I took the same machine with a different (spare) hard drive and installed Lenny from the InstallCD and the 3Com NIC was found and configured. The ETH0 worked fine, but not with the original Debian install (that was on the server).

What is it that the install routine does that finds the NIC's. Is this a command line (something) that can (should) be run manually

Thanks,  Keith